Saturday, February 2, 2013

Prodigy, Marie Lu

GOD YES. THIS BOOK IS AWESOME.
June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector. 
It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. (Full description here.)

I can't even describe how good this book was. Better than the first. We'll start with that.

Okay I'd just like to say that I totally called this title before I knew about it. Before I even knew that I'd called it: I called it. Look, it's from my review for Legend: 
"June Iparis is a prodigy,"
Suck it.

Anyways the setting is sometime in the future. To be more specific . . .
The setting is in the future at some point. North America. Los Angeles CA, US-o'-A. But they're not the states anymore, they're split into the Republic and the Colonies. There's also a random group of rebels called Patriots and of course their tag is a crudely painted American flag.
Okay let me just retract that statement about the random group of rebels, they're not so random anymore. They have a huge part in this book, so remember them. Remember the Patriots, the Titans, the Alamo; whatever the heck you want.

Previously mentioned June Iparis is the main character. She's a genius. Not going to brag or anything for her, but she's probably the biggest badass in the book. She totally is. And June always makes the right choices. Even when she makes the wrong choices, she makes the right ones. Like, seriously, I want that as a super-power. She's so well written too! I guess every main character is well written but June is just . . . ugh. I'm out of words. She's so cool.

Next main character: Day. God dang, I'm going to cry again. Sweet Jesus. I keep doing this. Moving on; Day is the best thing that's ever happened in the Legend series. He's my favorite. I really, really like June. But Day is just better. Sorry. He's not as shifty as he was in Legend-the first book, but I love him even more in this book. ALKAJDS:LKJEM. I'm out of adjectives. I don't know what to say! My words don't actually matter though, this is just a review. You don't have to take it seriously. Believe me, I'm hardly serious while typing these out.

The Republic is . . . Well, I like the words I used for my review for Legend.
Next main character: The Republic. As a whole. Not much I can say about what their part is, but you'll see; and I'm sure you can guess anyway. I mean really. If a book is placed under the dystopian label, I think you can guess what role the oh-so-perfect, oh-so-controlling Republic plays. If you can't, maybe you're new to this genre. Have fun, good luck, and don't be afraid to cry.
There you have it: poetry.

The Patriots are another big part. I already said that, though. They count as a main character, but they're really a group of people that are against the Republic. I don't know about them. I kind of thought they were annoying, just the way they are. I can't explain. But I do like a few of their members. Keade, Tess; yeah, that's it. I kind of hate Mr. Leader, whatever his name is.

The next thing I want to say is that this book is freaking emotional. Seriously, Marie Lu cannot just do this to people willy-nilly and expect everyone to love her. I love her books and I'm sure she's a great person, but I hate her for making me such a wreck. Honestly*. I can't very well throw my book across the room when I'm frustrated with it**! I just end up smacking whatever's closest to me and that always happens to be my bed. I think I broke a spring when I got to the end of this book. God dang, I cried for ten, TEN minutes after finishing Prodigy. Then of course I thought about it again five minutes later and cried for another handful of minutes. That happened a few times more before I actually calmed down and started breathing again. For God's sake, Marie Lu-if you're reading this, you have done something terrible and you better make up for it with the third book!

*Okay, not honestly. I don't hate her, I just hate my stupid emotions. 
**Emmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment