Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dark Destiny, M.J Putney

Last book! Boo-yah!
Tory and her friends are celebrating the success of a second mission to aid WWII Britain when an urgent summons calls them back to their own time: Napoleon is on the brink of invading England. Can a handful of young mages stop an army? 

In desperation, Merlin’s Irregulars ask Rebecca Weiss, an untrained telepath from 1940, to come back to 1804 and change Napoleon’s mind before it’s too late. As Tory and Allarde make a commitment that will cost him his inheritance, Rebecca promises to do what she can to stop Napoleon even though she is unsure of her magical abilities. (Full description here.) 

Just as fantabulomazing as the first two! Holy shiz, these books were so good. I'm kind of sad they're over.

A S ; L D O E I O F J D K. 

I just realized they're over. Hay no mas. Aw. 

Okay, well. I guess we should move on . . . This book mostly happens in 1804, but I guess some parts are in 1940 when it flip-flops to Rebecca. By now you should know who this is. If you don't, God-dangit, go read the first two books! 

Anyways, it's still in England, with a smidgen of Wales. And I guess a little of France too. I keep getting side-tracked. 

Now onto the main characters (this is where it gets hard because I've already said them like, a million times). Whatever, I have to change them anyways. 

Tory Mansfield (dropped the title, Lackland abbey does that to a person) was born with magic. Blah-blah-blah. "We know this part!" yes, I realize that, thanks. If you want to hear her whole back story, go look at my review for Dark Mirror. Moving on, Tory's really powerful by this book. She's still pretty proper but now she kicks butt against the Frenchies. If you're from France, I don't mean anything by that. That's just what they call them in the book, since they're trying to invade England or something! Napoleon and all that. 

Allarde is still handsome as ever. That's really all there is to know.

Jack is still a really powerful weather mage; Cynthia is pretty powerful herself; Elspeth is still the best healer; Nick is still whatever-he-is and now we introduce Rebecca. 

Rebecca Weiss is a girl that was captured in her own time (1940) by the Germans and the Irregulars helped save her and lots of others. Immediately Tory noticed that she had magic, too, so she explain all the things Rebecca needed to know before she decided what to do. Rebecca decides to stay with the Rainfords in 1940 and she starts learning about her own magic: reading and dealing with people's thoughts. It's a rare magic, apparently. Rebecca figures out that she can change peoples' minds just by touching their arm or whatever and thinking about whatever she wants them to. She and Nick end up going back to 1804 to help the Irregulars fight off the French and Napoleon. She's really helpful in the book. 

Well, this is probably the shortest review I've ever done. There's not much to say. It's all a bunch of stuff that if I mention it, it'll ruin the book. Better I just keep my mouth shut, right? Exactly! I'm just thinking of you all. Aren't I sweet? 

Au revoir! 

No comments:

Post a Comment