Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Forsaken, Lisa M Stasse

Bought this book with a giftcard, boo-yah!
As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up. 
The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.

I've decided to put the description before every review from now on and I'll add them to the older ones as well. 

This book starts in the future, as you probably know from the description above, America, Canada, and Mexico are now combined and they're called the U.N.A. I don't really remember what it stands for, but yeah, it's the U.N.A. now. 

The main character is Alenna Shawcross. She's pretty normal. She reacts the way a normal teenager would--sometimes stories include teenagers that do stuff where I just sit there and think, "What the heck did they do that for? No kid would do that." But nah, not with Alenna. I also like her name a lot. I added it to my favorite names list. She grows a lot during this book too. A lot of character development. Wow, a few months ago I had no idea what that meant, but now I think I get it. I still feel like it's probably not as important as some people make it out to be, but it is pretty cool when a character grows as the story goes along. 

The second main character is someone I cannot share with you, but if you read the description above, you'd know that she gets sent to the Wheel. That's where she meets the second main character. S/he is really awesome and I love him/her because s/he is just so badass. 

The third character is also from the Wheel, and I love them as well! But again, I can't share anything about him/her with you! So sad. 

Not much to say about a book like this, it's just simply: a great adventure. Full of action.

If you liked the Hunger Games, you will more than likely love this book. 

--I only say "more than likely" because I don't want to say anything for sure, although I really feel like you definitely will love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment