Saturday, January 26, 2013

Torment, Lauren Kate

Sequel to Fallen, ah-MAY-zing! 
Hell on earth.

That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.

It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. (Full description here.)

Okay I'm seriously, for realsies, out of adjectives. Help.

The setting is actually not the same as the last book. In the last book, Luce is at a school called Swords & Cross. Now she's at some other school (I don't remember the name and I can't be bothered to look it up. It doesn't matter). The new school is in California so we'll just call it her Cali-school. Any-hoo, this Cali-school is crawling with Nephilim kids. I guess Nephilim are the 'offspring of fallen angels and humans'. Whatever. Luce ends up at this Cali-school through . . . uh, special circumstances. This all still happens in the present, though. There's no time-traveling in this book.

Main character numbero uno; Lucinda Price. A.K.A Luce. I like Luce a lot, but sometimes she's pretty unrealistic and annoying. Like, she's told to do one thing and she does another just because she's told not to! What the heck! Okay I understand why she'd do that, I do that too, but when she clearly knows her life is at stake, why the bother would she risk that?! Get your act together, Lucinda. Good God, if I were her boyfriend, I'dda dumped that girl the minute she walked away from the Cali-school. Not even kidding. In this book, I liked her as a character but I absolutely hated her as a person. She was well written though. Some people are just stupid and stubborn--I can say that because that's how my sister is, 24/7.

Second main character is probably Daniel. Well, it's definitely Daniel. So I really like Daniel as a character and everything, don't get me wrong, but in this book: he's just as annoying as Luce! Seriously! He tells her to stay at the Cali-school and while she doesn't do what he wants, he doesn't either! Daniel tells himself that he can't see Luce for like, eighteen days or something for an all-holy-sacred-angel truce thing, but of course like the angst-ridden teenager he is, he feels he'll just die without seeing Luce another million times. God, Dan, get over it. It's eighteen days and I think he sees her like, five times. More than, even.

Moving on before I convince myself I don't like Daniel. Well, good news, Arriane is back! She's definitely my all-time favorite from this series. She's pretty BA*. Arriane is from the first book, Fallen, and you don't really expect to see her again. She shows up around halfway through Torment, I think. Wherever she shows up, I'm grateful. Basically things go wrong, they meet up with Arriane and she stands up, shoves Luce back to Cali-school and tells her to stay put. Miss Lucinda actually listens to Arriane this time and stays generally where she's supposed to. There's only a couple exceptions.

Shelby is a new character that we meet in this book! Yay! Thinking back, I actually think that Shelby was my favorite character while reading Torment. Arriane was my favorite in Fallen. Now it's Shelby's turn. Any-hoo, she's Luce's new roommate at the Cali-school. Shelby's into yoga and plants and stuff, opposite of Luce's last roommate Arriane. Still cool, though. PLOT-TWIST; she knows Daniel. Actually everyone at the Cali-school knows Daniel and Luce's little love story. But Shelby knows him for another reason. Maybe you can guess it, maybe you can't. Either way that's just another reason to read the book.

Miles is another friend Luce makes at the Cali-school. I don't know how I feel about him. I mean, he obviously knows that Luce has had a boyfriend for literally forever. But the guy still goes after her. Not in a predator kind-of way; that's creepy. He's clearly interested in dating her since the beginning. Well 'spoiler alert', it doesn't happen. Shocker, right? Dang, some people just don't pick up on hints. He's a nice guy though, so I could see being just friends with him like Luce wants--friendzone! What! Yeah I went there. Luce did too, ask her not-boyfriend Miles.

Reflecting thoughtfully upon this novel, I . . . Okay I don't know many posh words, so I thought I could pull off at least a sentence. I don't know where to go with it. Anyways, I really can't wait to buy and read the next book, Passion. Seriously, it's going to be good. The ending of Torment; wow. Like, wow. I can't wait.

I'm poor though, so that might be awhile. I already owe my own mother 50-some dollars for books. God dang.

*Bad-ass. Just in case you were wondering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment