Sunday, February 17, 2013

Breaking Point, Kristen Simmons

SUCH A GOOD SEQUEL. ONE OF THE BEST.
After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed. 
Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion…. (Full description here.)

Honestly one of the best sequels I've ever read.

Usually sequels are just like, well obviously, a continuation of the first book. BUT, this one was like another story that just happened to involve the same characters as the first. It was so good.

Seriously.

Here's the setting;
After a war the government decides to change the first ten amendments in the American Constitution; also known as the Bill of Rights. These are the basic things like freedom of speech and religion and stuff. Well, the government in this book is all-powerful (you know how it is with these things) and they've changed these to things like:
  • Article 1: The United States embraces the Church of America as her official religion.
  • Article 2: Literature and other media considered immoral are hereby banned and shall not be owned, bought, sold, or traded in any capacity. 
  • Article 3: Whole families are to be considered one man, one woman, and child(ren).
  • Article 4: Traditional male and female roles shall be observed.
  • Article 5: Children are considered valid citizens only when conceived by a married man and wife. 
There's another bunch but I only know number 9: anyone helping rebels gets in trouble. Killed, I think.

Sorry, I'm watching some Grey's Anatomy. I'm distracted. Everyone is dying.

The main character of Breaking Point by Kristen Simmons is a--I believe--seventeen year old girl. I know she's a girl, I'm just not certain on the age. Honestly if I was her I probably would have given up all hope a lo-O-o-O-ong time ago. Ember is brave and determined and probably the most perfect-est main character of a dystopian book. She isn't just straight-up "Let's get the bad guys!" she still  has those moments where everything is just too awful and she breaks down. That's what makes her seem real. For the longest time I'm sitting here, reading, and thinking: Oh my God, I probably would have just started bawling right there. But Ember doesn't and then I think, "Wow that's totally unrealistic," until I get to the part where Ember breaks down later and cries until she can't anymore. That's pretty realistic if you ask me.

Jesus, that's probably the crappiest summary of a character I've ever done.

CHASE JENNINGS. Oh my Lordy, he's so perfect. There's still a smudge of mystery on him, even though this is the second book! There are some parts where him and Ember are all close and cute and then he just leaves and I'm sure everyone's reaction was just--it was just--so frustrating. I almost screamed. I just wanted to strangle the complete truth out of him. But Ember and Chase get there eventually. Oh God, I didn't mean there-there! I just meant they end up getting time to themselves (although it's probably for like, ten minutes tops). Chase is still his awesome bad-ass-y self in this book. You don't see it much, though, if I can remember well enough.

Sean Banks is another big character in this story. He was very important in the first one, but he didn't show up much after he did what he did (no spoilers, I won't ruin anything if you haven't even read Article 5 yet). There's not a whole lot to say about Mr. Banks, but he does lighten the mood in a lot of the situations. I like him.

Tucker Morris. Tuck. Good ol' Tuck.

Actually not really 'good' in any way, I don't like Tucker. He's a brat. I hate him. The end.

Cara--gosh, I don't know her last name. I loved Cara, actually. I think most people would disagree, but you need someone blunt like her! She's got experience, too. So it's okay that she's blunt, she knows what she's talking about. Also not a lot to say about her.

There are other characters like Billy and Wallace (okay so maybe Wallace was a big character . . .), Truck, Jack, Tubman (another actual important character, but I have nothing to say about him), and a lot more. Lincoln, Houston, Riggins.

I love where this book went.

It did not make me bawl at the end like *cough* some other books . . . That doesn't mean it wasn't a great ending, it really was! I loved it. I can't wait for the next one--anyone know when it comes out?

No comments:

Post a Comment