Friday, August 10, 2012

If I Stay, Gayle Forman

This book will definitely keep you on edge with all of it's ups and downs. 
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

Okay. That starting line was really cheesy, but seriously I was crying and smiling all at the same time during this book. This will also sound lame, but this book really makes you think about your life.

Well, I'm just assuming. I really liked the book, but I didn't reevaluate my life.

Setting; the present. I have no idea where.

Well, I do know; the setting is the hospital. For the entire book. But Mia (the main character) flashes back a couple times.

Let me rephrase. She flashes back a couple million times.

Now that that's out of the way, we can go onto the characters! That was easy!

Mia Hall is the main character. She's kind of a laid back gal with rock and roll parents and a younger brother. She also has a rock and roll boyfriend who's in a band. Mia plays the cello. So, they have a few things not in common. To say the least, Mia has a hard time fitting in with her rebel family and rebel boyfriend.

Adam Wilde is the rebel boyfriend. He's also kind of a minor character. He plays a lot of rolls in Mia's flashbacks but so does everyone else in the whole world; Mia's best friend (Kim), Mia's brother, her parents, her grandparents... everybody.

Then we go onto the plot, where, if you've read anything about this book at all, you'll know that the whole story actually starts with a car crash. After that, Mia and her family are rushed to the hospital--her family minus two members (I won't tell who).

I can't really say anything about this book because there's not much too say. There are flashbacks and sad moments, and brave moments, and all other sorts!

It's a fantastic book but it's a little dry at the beginning to be completely and utterly honest. The ending is totally worth it, though, so go pick it up!


--One of my shortest reviews yet! Can't say I'm proud of it, but like I said before, I can't really say anything else about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment