Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Waiting For You, Susane Colasanti

Holy crap. I love everything about this book. Jesus Christmas. 
At the beginning of her sophomore year, Marisa is ready for a fresh start and, more importantly, a boyfriend. So when the handsome and popular Derek asks her out, Marisa thinks her long wait for happiness is over. But several bumps in the road—including her parents’ unexpected separation, a fight with her best friend, and a shocking disappointment in her relationship with Derek—test Marisa’s ability to maintain her new outlook. Only the anonymous DJ, whose underground podcasts have the school’s ear, seems to understand what Marisa is going through. But she has no idea who he is—or does she? In Waiting For You, this third romantic novel from Susane Colasanti, Marisa learns how to “be in the Now” and realizes that the love she’s been waiting for has been right in front of her all along.
So this book starts out fantastically. It's like, everything the main character, Marisa, feels or has felt in the past, I can relate! If you've read this book, that makes it sound like I've had depression or something, but I haven't--I've just had those kind of days where you kind of feel like what she does.

Before this gets too sad and down-in-the-dumpsy, the setting is present day wherever. I can't really think of where they live right now. Maybe, hm . . . Nope, can't think of it. It doesn't play a huge part in the book anyways.

The main character is Marisa and I don't think you actually see her name in the book until like, the fifth chapter. That's pretty impressive. Well, like I said before, she's very relatable. Depressing, but relatable. I guess my favorite thing is, though, she grows during the story. I think all characters are supposed to do that but it's very easy to see when the character has . . . issues. I don't know what to call them. Anxieties? They're not issues, I mean, they are problems that are hard to deal with, but that doesn't mean the person that has them is weird or has issues. I'm just trying really hard no to offend anybody, I hope no one is getting offended? I really don't mean to and I'm sorry if I do . . . Anyways, Marisa has anxieties and things and she starts to realize that she's her own person and she shouldn't worry about the future or about other people as much as she does. "Living in the Now," she calls it. It's great.

The next main character is another person who I don't really want to say anything about because, reading over the description, s/he's not mentioned. Oh well! Less of a review for me to write, I guess.

So, I'd usually do a quick life-update for this, but since it's a short little blip I'll just add it here.

The City of Bones movie is coming out August 21st I think, and I'm definitely going to see it. I really, really, really, really love that book and the rest in the series, so I'm not sure how it's going to go. I know they can't please everyone with a movie, so I don't know why they bother. Books are just as good (if not better) than movies. Maybe that's just me, but seriously if you've read the book, you'll probably agree. Anyways, I'm going to go see and since it's kind of a big deal, I'm going to review it (*GASP!*) I know, right? I've never reviewed a movie before! Maybe I've thought about it before . . . maybe. Just get ready for a raging review (good or bad) about this movie. I'm rereading the book before seeing it, definitely. I'm going on a trip to Florida and then driving up to Boston and stopping in like, every state between. It's a College-finding trip, for my sister, but I have to go. I'll read it in the car and on the plane to Florida. Sidenote: it's storming right now. Ew.

Ta-ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment