Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Virals, Kathy Reichs

TOOK FOREVER TO READ.


Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever. 
As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent. 
Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They are Virals.


Jesus Christmas. It seriously took me forever to read this book. Not that it wasn't good, I just kept getting busy! Band camp sucked up a bunch of time and then practice everyday . . . Yeah, didn't have much time.

But these books are really great! They're by Kathy Reichs, who inspired Bones, the TV shows. But these books aren't about those characters, it's like junior Bones. Kind of. Except not really. You'll see if you read it. If you like books like the Max Ride series by James Patterson, you'll like it. Also if you like Bones.

The setting is present day on some random island in America. That's it, really.

The main character is Tory Brennan (if you watch Bones, you'll realize that she shares the last name of Temperance Brennan; Tory is Tempe's niece). She's fourteen or fifteen and she lives on said island in America. Her mom died at some point in life so that's why she's living with her father on this random island!

I like Tory. I know, I know, I say that about almost every main character. Almost. But I really do like her, in a different way. She's normal. And unlike the heroines in the dystopian books I read, she is actually afraid of things. She isn't brave all the time, although she has her moments. I think that's good. She's also smart. Like, pretty freaking smart. Genius practically. Although her common sense is a little on the low side. Any-hoo.

The next main character is definitely Hi--short for Hiram. He's Tory's best friend and he's cool too. He's the joker of the group (which is always needed), and he's probably carrying the whole book on his shoulders when it comes to the humor. I guess there are times when other people are funny, but he's numero uno.

Okay here's where I get frustrated!

Ben is the next main character. But Tory doesn't even consider him boyfriend material! At all. They're friends (not great friends, but friends) and he's like, so obviously into her. It's really easy to see. But, alas . . . Tory cannot see it herself. Woe is me, along with every other person on the planet. 

So there's one other kid, but, uh . . . I can't remember his name. I think it's like Shelton? Sherlock? Something with an SH at the beginning. Just, I'm not sure. He's okay too, I guess, I don't remember him doing a whole lot. He's a really intelligent dude, I remember that. He's cool. Sure. We'll just say that. Vague.

There are other people to, but there are reasons I can't name them.

1.) I'm really lazy and I don't feel like looking it up.
2.) I finished reading this book like a week ago and I've already read and finished another in that time. The details are blurry.

Also, marching band is taking up like, all of my time! Ew! I want to spend this summer doing what I want, not marching around in 80+ degree weather wearing a black uniform that consists of black coveralls and a black jacket, plus black gloves and wrist gauntlets. Along with a black hat and black shoes. Ew. It's like sweat city in those things. Gross.

Anyways! You probably don't want to know about that. I have another review to write so--until next time! Which will be soon. So.

No comments:

Post a Comment