Thursday, April 11, 2013

City Of Bones, Cassandra Clare

Just trust me, I'll explain. 
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? 
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . 

So, it's been a really long time since I got a new book and it'll be awhile before the new ones I want are out, so I decided to go back and finish the unfinished series I've reviewed. Mainly The Mortal Instruments and Maximum Ride. It's been like, four years since I read them last--I still remember what happens, but I've forgotten all the little moments in them. So it won't hurt, otherwise I don't think I'd be able to reread them. 

Okay, if you have read the City of Lost Souls review--I'm super duper sorry. This is a good series and hopefully you still read it even if I spoiled things! I don't think I did too bad though, there's still the things that I didn't mention specifically because they would spoil the other books. 

The setting of this book is present-day New York City. Except, only kind of. If you've seen the trailers for this movie, or read anything about it all, you'll already know about this, and I'm not spoiling anything:  There is a hidden world among the normal people, or 'mundanes'. The hidden world is full of Shadowhunters/Nephilim--people who kill demons, and the Downworlders:  Vampires, Werewolves, random Demons, and so on. It's not just Vampires and Werewolves like a lot of stories nowadays, there are other Demons too. I just don't remember the specific names. 

Main character is Clarissa Fray. She's actually kind of a brat in this book. At least in some parts. She's not my favorite character, anyway, but she's the main one for sure. The whole story revolves around Clary and her sarcastic little comments and unhelpful remarks. I really don't like her that much. I don't know why anyone likes her. She's kind of annoying to me. She's a well written character--don't get me wrong, she's just not someone I would really like to know in person. 

The second main character is Jace. Jace Wayland. Okay, him, I would love to know in real life. Only because I keep picturing this major Adonis. Alex Pettyfer, to be exact. He's a Shadowhunter (no surprise) and of course he helps out Clary (I honestly don't know why) with her personal issues. Sometimes I want to just grab Jace's shoulders and shake him out until he realizes what a self righteous weirdo Clary is. Honestly. 

I think I'm supposed to sympathize with Clary, which I guess I get along to it, but in the first book I did not like her at all. Just looking at my review for City of Lost Souls makes me want to puke. 
I love her! She seems like such a fun person to be around, 
Ew, stop. She's mean in the first book. Especially to Alec. I wonder if they'll put that in the movie . . .

Next up is Alec (I'm saving the best for last). I really like Alec. He might seem like a really mean to Clary in the first book, but she totally deserved it! He was just trying to stop her from being a completely donkey-butt and ruining everything. You'll figure out what I'm talking about, and then I think you might agree with me. But hey, it's your opinion and stuff. Although pretty much everyone I talk to points out that Alec was such a bully to Clary before he even knew her, again:  She deserved every ounce of it! If you already know the back story to Alec's uneasiness around Clary in City of Bones, you'll know what I'm saying! Alec never asked for trouble. Jeez Louise.

So here's the best I saved for last: Isabelle. I honestly love her. She's such a witch but that's okay! She's still my favorite. Not just because of the name, she's so bossy and awesome and people listen to her. Plus she can actually do something to help herself in like, any situation.

I don't have much to say about Isabelle.

Oh, there's also Simon. I'm okay with Simon, but he's a little pouty. He just expects people to go along with his plans and it's like--no, Simon, you're wrong and just stop. Sorry. He's pretty annoying in the first book too. Mundanes, amiright?

There are other characters, but if I mentioned a few of them, it would definitely give some stuff away. The harmless ones are pretty much just Jocelyn and Luke.

So yep. There's the first book. Now I'll do the rest. And then Max Ride, Jesus Christmas, that's like eight books . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment