Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Bone Season, Samantha Shannon

FIRST U.S. EDITION, BABY!
It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others’ minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing. (Full description found here.)
Oh my goodness. I read this book like, a month ago--how am I getting so slow at this? Seriously.

Anyways, this book was AMAZING HOLY CRAP WOW. I know I say that a lot, and I know I say that a lot, but wow. One of my friends kept telling me I had to read this book and I was like, okay, I'll look it up eventually . . . And so finally she just got it for me for my birthday. Thank God. I can't believe I almost missed out on this book. It's definitely a wow-book.

Original. For me, at least. I haven't read a lot of books that involve spirits and stuff, but this one is something special, I can tell. There's an added element that I won't give away because it happens in the first like, ten chapters, but it sets up the story and I really don't want to ruin that for you. I'm a strong believer in, "Don't tell me anything about the book before I read it--don't even tell me if it's good or bad." Which, I guess, means that I'm really not expecting anyone to read these reviews--I wouldn't. I stay so far away from reviews of books I want to read, but haven't yet. I just like experiencing the entire book, not just the plot or whatever. I love the whole thing, even when I have to keep moving and changing my position just to be more comfortable while reading. Even if that means hanging over the side of my bed, which I do a lot.

So anyways, this book was too good for words. And this review will be fun because it's the first in a series! I won't feel like I'm just rewording the same sentences over and over just to explain the characters! Woohoo!

Yeah the setting was kind of already mentioned in the book description up top, but I'll just remind you. The year is 2059, in the UK. I'm a little fuzzy on the details of where in the UK they are, just because I don't live there and I don't want to assume anything and sound like a dork. I know the whole thing starts in London, but I'm really not sure after that. I just pictured the same setting for a large portion of the book as the same setting I pictured when reading Nancy Drew with my sister. Like, the old Nancy Drew books. I know that doesn't really make sense, seeing as this book is set in the future, but whatever. I do what I want. You do what you want.

Any-hoo, the main characters now--right?

Paige Mahoney. Okay, at first I was really scared that I would picture this girl from school named Paige, as the main character. But thank goodness I didn't. I mean, the girl from school isn't that bad, we used to be BFFs, but I don't like picturing people I know as the main character. I think that's a common thing among readers. So Paige Mahoney. She's pretty chill, I guess, for being a brain breaker (that's not a technical term, I just came up with it so don't quote me). I guess it does surprise me sometimes when she's freaked out by certain things and I'm just here like, "Are you serious? You can pop into people's heads," but I guess she's used to it. She's probably seventeen or something, I don't really remember, sorry. Like I said, I read this a month ago. But yeah, she's around that age (I'm guessing but still pretty sure), and she does get reasonably rebellious. Like a teenager. I don't know what it is, but teenagers are just like that. "Us against the world," kind of thing, I think.

Nick is probably not the next main character, but I love him. He's just perfect. Love him.

Also Jaxon is great. I don't really know how old Jaxon is, but I kind of pictured him like Nolan Ross from Revenge, but that might be just because I really like that show. You can click on his name if you want to see what he looks like, it's not some random link. I think if you press and hold Ctrl when you click on it, it will come up in another tab instead of messing up this one. You're welcome.

Maybe it's just because Jaxon's personality reminds me of Nolan Ross' personality on Revenge. I don't know. That's only what my brain came up with when Jaxon showed up.

Now I've got to work on four more reviews so those will be up lickity-split.

No comments:

Post a Comment