Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Peculiars, Maureen Doyle McQuerry

Better than the reviews say. 
This dark and thrilling adventure, with an unforgettable heroine, will captivate fans of steampunk, fantasy, and romance.On her 18th birthday, Lena Mattacascar decides to search for her father, who disappeared into the northern wilderness of Scree when Lena was young. Scree is inhabited by Peculiars, people whose unusual characteristics make them unacceptable to modern society. Lena wonders if her father is the source of her own extraordinary characteristics and if she, too, is Peculiar. 
On the train she meets a young librarian, Jimson Quiggley, who is traveling to a town on the edge of Scree to work in the home and library of the inventor Mr. Beasley. The train is stopped by men being chased by the handsome young marshal Thomas Saltre. When Saltre learns who Lena’s father is, he convinces her to spy on Mr. Beasley and the strange folk who disappear into his home, Zephyr House. A daring escape in an aerocopter leads Lena into the wilds of Scree to confront her deepest fears.

Trust me. The average rating on GoodReads is three stars. I really don't agree with that.

So the setting is . . . um, who knows when. It's a long time ago, though. And, basically, there are people who have things that are . . . different about them. Either they have wings or goblinism (long hands and feet, greediness, thinking only of themselves, whatever), or something different altogether. They are called Peculiars--thus the name of the book. Well, the Peculiars are looked at as criminals, so they're all shipped to a place called Scree where they pretty much spend their lives mining minerals for the rest of the country/people that aren't Peculiars. Actual prisoners are sent to Scree to, so it's a place for their undesirables, I guess.

The main character, Lena Mattacascar, is . . . well, I like her. Just because I feel like her and I feel the same way about things. She's pretty open minded. She's also usually quiet and reserved and just tends to stay out of the spotlight of everyone's attention. I think that is always a good way to do things, although many people would disagree! Oh, well!

The second main character is probably Jimson Quiggley. I love that name. Seriously. Also, I love him. He's really nice to Lena, even when she's kind of being a brat (usually it's warranted), and I just love him for that. He's really accepting of her and her quirks, and he's just there and even when she does something completely stupid, he still finds it in his big, big heart to forgive her. Ahmygod. I love him.

This is going to be a really short review because 1.) for some reason, I waited like, three weeks to actually do this review, and 2.) I just got a Kindle Fire, so I'm going to go play with it as soon as I get my music downloaded onto it! It was supposed to come Monday the 20th, but it came early, eep! So excited.

So, I guess, even though there is way more that I could go over, I'll leave it at this: This book is seriously good, even though it's only one book and there is no sequel (HOLY CRAP I AM SO MAD ABOUT THAT), it's definitely worth the read. I only cried like three or four times.

No comments:

Post a Comment