Friday, April 19, 2013

Partials, Dan Wells

This book was surprisingly fantasmic.
The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out. 
Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them—connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.

So that's not a glittering review, but at first I really didn't have much hope for this book. I always like to give books a chance though. And this one went by fast and I really can't wait to read the next one:  Fragments-which I will be getting in. . . who knows how long. My parents and I are stuck in snow-storm traffic and as a prize for not complaining about being bored as we've been stuck in this car for two hours now, they're going to get me a book! Yay. So I'm writing this to finish it before I get Fragments.
The setting of Partials is New York on that one major island that I can't remember the name of (edit: Long Island). It's in the future, like most books I read, but this one is totally logical and its not like hover-car and super technology future. It's just future.
Basically the human race created another race of "partial humans" who are like humans in most ways but they can heal really fast and they were made to be soldiers in a war. Then the Partials rebelled (because they were basically slaves) and a virus was introduced to the humans; the virus killed pretty much every but 0.004% of the population. So naturally the humans hate the Partials for this virus and war and killing off like, everyone. Understandable.

Any-hoo, that's the setting, now onto the characters:

The main character is Kira and she's sixteen.

OH WAIT. I forgot something important.

So in the future when they're all pretty much dead, they need to have kids, right? Well. All the kids they have, die. They know it's because the kids are not immune to the virus like the people still living, but they don't know how to keep the babies from dying! It's pretty sad. The government that runs the whole thing feels like:  The more babies these people have, the more likely we are to find a cure! It seems... reasonable... ish. They lower the pregnancy age to eighteen (the age a girl has to be preggers by). It's called The something-Hope Act (if not just The Hope Act). I don't know.

So, Kira's sixteen--two years from the pregnancy age. That's not really important, but I thought I should tell you anyways. I don't really like Kira, honestly. She's kind of pigheaded. She gets offended by the littlest things and it's actually kind of annoying. Kira also doesn't understand when people are trying to help her out.

The next character I like a ton more, even if he's not really a main character. I mean, he's important, but he's not the main-main character. Samm. There are two M's for a reason that doesn't really matter, you'll figure it out if you read the book. He's pretty awesome. I love him. I won't say much about him, because I really shouldn't, but he's just so--ugh. Perfect.

The rest like Marcus and Xochi (don't even ask me how to pronounce that) and Haru and Madison and Jayden--they're minor-main characters. I don't know. They're all pretty slick except Marcus, he's a butthead.  Well, same with Haru. Oh, I think Isolde is pretty cool too, even if she's totally banging her boss. Whatever, she can do whatever she wants. She's Isolde. I'm sure she misses Tristan (ha ha. There's no character named Tristan in this book, if you're wondering. It's a joke).

Anyways, this book probably sounds a little dull (I'm not a word-magician) and it'll start a little slow, but then it just zooms by so fast and jeez, it's over in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment