Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reached, Ally Condie

Holy-Freak! It's finally out. 
After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.

So I finished this book the day I got it. It was so good. Such an amazing ending to an amazing series. I can't say much, but I'll tell you the main plot of the first books. The first two books are Matched and Crossed.

You never really learn the exact setting. There are lots of 'districts' I guess you could call them. Keya, Oria, Central, yadda-yadda-yadda . . . Lots. Then there are the outer Provinces, and the Carving, the stone villages and the Otherlands. So, I don't know where they are. But it's somewhere where the government controls everything. They plan out the meals and what nutritions everybody needs, they plan out exercise routines, they plan out the jobs of the people and everything else to avoid any trouble. It's in the way future, and you see this because they are always taking about the old, old, old days where people actually used pencils and pens. Which is this time right now. So it'd have to be in the future. In the Society, when a girl turns seventeen, she's matched by the government. Everyone in the Society has three tablets. A blue to survive if you're lost, a green to calm you down, and a red that everyone believes causes death. 

So that's that. Now the characters. 

The main character: Cassia. I think it could be pronounced Kay-shuh, but I pronounce it Cass-ee-yuh. I don't know. Any-hoo, Cassia is brave. Like, beyond brave. Even when she knows she'll get killed if she gets caught she still does what she wants or what she believes she has to do. There's always a reasonable amount of doubt in her head if someone tells her something. Which is good I think. I think it's okay to question things sometimes. So, yeah, I like her. 

Xander. The boy Cassia was matched with at her Matching Banquet. He's kind of . . . eh, I think he's a little sheltered, personally. Some people probably like him better than I do, but I don't know what it is about him. He's just not trying very hard. I'll explain later.

Ky! He's not even supposed to be part of Cassia's story. But thanks to a problem during the Matching banquet, his face pops up to be Cassia's match for a second before she sees Xander's face. So naturally she's curious and she meets up with Ky. Oh, I love Ky. Ky Markham. He's so wonderful. He's so mysterious. He's so poetic. I'll explain that later too. So, speaking of explaining later. Ky and Cassia are madly in love (I love it), and Xander wants Cassia to choose him, but he hardly does anything for her. In the last book he's a bit better about letting her know he's still there. So I approve.

Hm, after those main characters, I'd probably say the Pilot is a big one. He's the leader of the Rising. The rebellion against the Society. You can't really explain the Pilot. He's everyone that's ever taken charge and done what's right. Even if it means going against everything you've known.

Other minor characters include (but are not limited to): Cassia's grandfather, her family, Ky's family, Indie, Lei, Oker, any Officials, the head Archivist, Hunter, Leyna, and others.

There are lots of reasons I loved this series, but I really liked the poems. Like Cassia's, that she wrote for Ky:

Newrose, oldrose, Queen Anne's lace,
Water, river, stone and sun. 

Wind over hill, under tree,
Past the borders none can see.

Climbing into the dark for you,
Will you wait in the stars for me?

And so many more. I love the poems. I'm not very good at writing poems, and I don't really get into them (trust me) but I love the ones in these series. Like I Did Not Reach Thee by Emily Dickinson. I kind of really love it.

Ky is super poetic, I think. Cassia is too. They talk about poems all the time and they send little lines back and forth and repeat them in their heads over and over when they're not together. It's so cute!

Hm, where do I go from here? This book (and series) is amazing. Read it. Finish it. Love it. Live it.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Isabel,
    thank you for your very nice review!
    I really had fun reading your text because you explain the things that happen very good and in a funny way (like how to pronounce Cassia ;-) I'm from Germany and I would have pronounced it like Casch-a but I liked your versions a lot better than my own! )
    I absolutely agree to what you said about Ky and Cassia being so poetic and so madly in love and I think this is what makes the whole books so marvellous-because they never stop loving each other and missing each other and searching for each other-until they finally REACH themselves. I also like Xander (while I LOVE Ky) but I think that I can only appreciate his personality now after I got to know him in REACHED because earlier, he was just the handsome, smart, funny, nice guy from Cassia's neighbarhood. At least for me.
    I did not quite understand every word of every poem (as I said, I'm from Germany and some of the poems were in an older form of english which made it hard for me to understand them) but in the end, I always understood the message and that's what's the most important thing for me.
    And I loved-simply LOVED- Cassias poem for Ky and I have it in my mind the whole day and night, and day and night, it just repeats over and over -crazy, isn't it?
    So thanks again for your fantastic review and I hope we'll soon find a new series as amazing and enchanting like the MATCHED series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my review! It really means a lot. It's going to be hard (finding a series as good as the MATCHED series), but we can definitely try!

      Thanks again! (-:

      Delete
    2. Oh, you are absolutely welcome ;-)
      I do not really know which kind of book you usually prefer because "Reached" is the only one that I read, too (thinking of the other books you wrote reviews about) but maybe you would like "Rubyred" by Kerstin Gier. It is the first book of a trilogy and about Gwendolyn, a girl who finds out that she is able to travel in time (although it does not seem to be that funny because everytime she just gets in trouble-which is then not funny for her, but for the readers) and well, suddenly gets a pretty exciting life. It is not enough that her life has completely changed, no, she is also now a member of a freaking mysterious secret organisation ( and really: FREAKING MYSTERIOUS) and has to decide who are my friends and who can I trust. (As obvious in the book, she really can trust Google :-D)
      Of course this trilogy is full with adventure and fun but what would it be without a love story?
      You may read it, if you want to, I read it a few years ago and liked it. But you have to like characters who really make you dizzy sometimes when you ask yourself: WHY did she do that now? or "He is such an IDIOT" :-D
      (By the way, I also think that in summer there will be a movie adaption of that first book - at least in Germany)

      So I really like this series but MATCHED is still the better choice.
      Nevertheless, try it out and have a nice time with it :-)

      Delete
    3. OH! I've heard of that book! I don't remember where though, but it sounds really good! Thanks for reminding me of it!

      I really liked the MATCHED series, I think Crossed was probably my favorite of the three, but the story was really awesome. And since you liked the series and you liked Rubyred, I think I'll probably like it too!

      This is great, thank you!

      Delete