Monday, April 23, 2012

Behemoth, Scott Westerfeld

This is the sequel to Leviathan, Scott Westerfeld, if you haven't read (or even heard of) that book, I suggest you look to your right at my lovely 'Book Reviews' section and click on Leviathan! Check it out and then come back, if you'd like!
The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.

Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan's peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory. 

Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what's ahead.

Well, let's do what I did with my last book review, when I say SPOILER ALERT that means, you guessed it, a spoiler is coming up! I'll try my hardest not to let those slip in, but you know, it happens sometimes. I'll make sure to make the font small (not too small!) so that you don't have to read it if you accidentally glance at it. 

Just like the first book, I loved Behemoth, I'd give it a top rating for whatever scale you want! 5/5, 10/10, 42/42, or even 100/100. It was so good!

Alright, again before I start, you might want to take a look at my Leviathan review, which goes over the setting. If you don't want to go look at that (you lazy bum! (just kidding)), I'll post it right now...

...It's set in the past, World War I to be exact, except it's an alternative, steam punk version. The Central powers (Clankers) are full of machines and mechanical things, while the Entente powers (Darwinists) create beasties with different threads of life. Evolution and things. 
The whole story is based around a teenage girl, Deryn, dressed as a boy to be a part of the Darwinist air navy and the teenaged song of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Deryn is one of the awesomely-capable middies (midshipman) on the airship, the Leviathan, while Aleksander (the teenaged boy) is pampered even when he's running away...

In Behemoth you still have your amazing lead characters, Deryn Sharp and Aleksandar (I can't think of his last name at the moment)! Deryn, a delightfully Scottish lassie, is on the airship the Leviathan when an ironclad, the Goeben, attacks! Oh no! That's not a spoiler. I'm not telling what happens when it attacks! And that's final. 

Oi, I haven't got much to say about Behemoth because I don't want to give anything away from this amazing book! Although, do people really look up book reviews anymore? And, aren't reviews telling people what happens in the book before they buy it? I don't want to do that! That would ruin everything, no?

All I know is that in the beginning of the third book, Goliath, the Leviathan is headed East; whether Alek or Deryn are on board or not...

KIND OF A SPOILER ALERT. OKAY, NOT REALLY.
Historical Liberties from Wiki!
  • The Sultan Osman I was a real warship.
  • The revolution by the Committee of Union and Progress was successful in 1908 and the sultan was overthrown. However, in the novel Westerfeld made the 1908 revolution unsuccessful and created a second revolution in 1914 because, as quoted by Scott Westerfeld,"I wanted my characters to be involved in a successful revolution, one that would perhaps nudge history toward a more positive outcome."
  • The Orient Express was real and ran its last course on December 14, 2009, a few weeks after Westerfeld's book was published.

No comments:

Post a Comment