Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where She Went, Gayle Forman

Long time no read, right? But this book was a great one to dive into.
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

So, at two-hundred-some pages, this book should not have taken a week to finish and write a review for.

Thanks, school.

Anyways, this book, Where She Went by Gayle Forman is the sequel to If I Stay by Gayle Forman so go read that review! I hate having to tell you with pretty much every review I do, but if I don't, some of you might possibly miss it.

Ah, let me just take a moment to say what an amazing book this is. It's pretty much the first boy-POV* book I've successfully read all the way through. If you've read the review for the previous book, you might be thinking, "WHAT? I could have sworn that book was in a girl's point of view . . ." Don't worry, you're not crazy. It is. This one is not Mia Hall's point anymore, it's switched to her boyfriend's. Adam Wilde. Except in this book, they've already kind of broken up. It's three years since Mia's tragic accident, by the way.

Alright, although Mia was the main character in the last book and what I think I remember, she came first in the review, Adam comes first in this one. Wilde man, yeah! In the very beginning of the book, like I said, it's three years after Mia's accident and Adam and Mia have parted ways. It's not what Adam wants but he promised to Mia while she was in her coma that he would let her leave to college if she stayed. If she stayed alive, that is. Thus the title of the first book, "If I Stay". Ta-dah! Adam doesn't tell anyone about this promise, so he just lets her go, sadly.

So, since I really didn't explain Adam like I was supposed to, I'll just do it now. Adam is a rock star (even if he doesn't admit it), he's part of a famous, famous band called Shooting Star. The rest of the band kind of hates Adam because he stays in a separate hotel and takes separate flights and things like that. For the longest time everyone lets Adam be pissy because they know about what happened to Mia and her family and they know that her family was like his. But that's only a few people that are a part of the band. So Adam has a bit of a temper. No big deal.

Mia. I can't tell if I like her in this book or not. In the flash backs, she seems so sweet and nice but now she's kind of annoying in my opinion. But it's a not-so-annoying annoying. Also you don't hear much about her until halfway through the book so it's a little dull in the beginning but so was the first book. Just push through it, my friends!

Other minor characters . . . the band mates, Mia's family--even though they are dead, there are still flashbacks. There aren't a whole lot of other minor characters. Most of the flashbacks are of different things so the little tiny characters change each time.

Er . . . Let's see. This book was amazing, number one. It was really fantastic, just like the first. This author is amazing with flashbacks and making the reader (me, or you) cry. At least I cried. Elephant tears, you know, the usual. All I have to say is, put on some slow-but-good classical music for the first half; and fantastically epic classical music for the second half. Or the same all the way through. I do that. For this particular book, I liked Nightbook, by Ludovico Einaudi. I don't know how to say his name, but I'm guessing and trying, and that doesn't really matter. Just listen to whatever you want. The book picks up at less than halfway and when it picks up, you can't stop reading. It's so good.

*Point Of View

No comments:

Post a Comment