Thursday, May 2, 2013

Fragments, Dan Wells

500-some pages of awesome.
Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence—it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them? 
Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.

I think it's 500 pages. I don't really know, it's a medium sized book though . . .

Anyways, in my review for Partials, I said it started out slow and then got really, really good. Well, this book, the sequel to Partials, just starts out amazing.

The whole setting of this book is amazing too, and totally plausible in my opinion. Although I wouldn't want any of Wells' future to happen to America, it's conceivable.

The setting of Partials is New York on that one major island that I can't remember the name of (edit: Long Island). It's in the future, like most books I read, but this one is totally logical and its not like hover-car and super technology future. It's just future. 

Basically the human race created another race of "partial humans" who are like humans in most ways but they can heal really fast and they were made to be soldiers in a war. Then the Partials rebelled (because they were basically slaves) and a virus was introduced to the humans; the virus killed pretty much every but 0.004% of the population. So naturally the humans hate the Partials for this virus and war and killing off like, everyone. Understandable.

So in the future when they're all pretty much dead, they need to have kids, right? Well. All the kids they have, die. They know it's because the kids are not immune to the virus like the people still living, but they don't know how to keep the babies from dying! It's pretty sad. The government that runs the whole thing feels like:  The more babies these people have, the more likely we are to find a cure! It seems... reasonable... ish. They lower the pregnancy age to eighteen (the age a girl has to be preggers by). It's called The something-Hope Act (if not just The Hope Act). I don't know. 

There's the setting, it's a lot of words I didn't want to type again. There ya' have it.

Kira Walker is the main character of Partials, but she shares that role with Marcus-something in Fragments.

Although I pretty much loathed Kira in Partials, I like her a wee bit more in Fragments. She still gets offended by everything, but I guess she's working on that. She doesn't explode so much in . . . part two, I think.

Heron is not the second main character but I have to mention her fast because she's my favorite character, other than Samm. She gets stuff done, and although she's a Partial, she uses human body language and other things. Heron kind of comes off as a jerk, but really she's the most sensible and realistic of the bunch of them.

The second main character is Samm. There are actually two M's in his name. It doesn't really matter why. So I like Samm. He's as realistic as Heron, but he's not so blunt. He's not exactly nice either--he doesn't really have a lot of emotions or anything, since he's a Partial. He's a good character, I think, since he does 'develop' a lot. Some people really take those terms seriously, I don't actually know what it means for a character to grow and develop. I guess I just read books for fun!

So basically this book is a really awesome sequel. It starts out a little boring, but that's how Partials (the first book) starts too. Just give a book about five chapters before deciding whether it's good or not. At least five. Or you can just decide by the summary on the back or inside cover. I don't really care.

Just read!

No comments:

Post a Comment