Thursday, December 27, 2012

Fallen, Lauren Kate

Better than I thought it'd be. 
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.

That doesn't sound like a glimmering review, but it's honest. I didn't expect this book to actually be very good, someone told me it was, but still: it was fantastic. 

Seriously it seems like a cheesy little fantasy novel, but it's awesome! I'm kind of a gooey-romantic, so the romance in this book was A-OK! It was more than A-OK, actually. I completely welcomed it.

Moving on. This book is set in present time Savannah, Georgia. The whole story happens after the main character is sent to a reform school called Swords & Cross for some freak accident. I think she's like seventeen. So there she is, suspected of setting a house on fire, surrounded by other actual-criminals her age and around there. Not fair.

Well, the seventeen-year-old main character is named Lucinda (Luce) Price. That girl cray-cray. Like, honestly she seems crazy at first. She sees black shadows following her around and causing horrible accidents. She's convinced the black shadows are the ones that lit the house on fire, not her. Anyway she's quiet at first but she makes friends easily. A good girl. She's not annoying like--ah, I don't know, another certain main character of a different series . . . I will not say who. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Okay, to be seriously honest, there is one annoying thing about her. Luce cannot make up her mind about two different guys! I mean obviously she'd end up with the mysterious, brooding Daniel who keeps shoving her off. She just needs to decide faster.

Next main character: the before mentioned Daniel. I don't remember his last name. Just kidding-I remembered. Daniel Grigori I think. He's awesome and mysterious and he'd just be so frustrating! That last sentence seemed a little bipolar, no? Yeah. Well he's always hiding something and I think that would be just so darn frustrating for Luce! If I were her I'd freak out. I would probably punch Daniel in the face, to just be frank. I don't know what else to say.

Onto Cam. Cam's a sneaky little devil. Well, I do think he'd actually be fun to know instead of Daniel but Cam would get annoying really, really fast. He just says good things to please Luce. In the end--well, I won't give anything away.

Other, not-so-important-but-still-good characters: Pennyloafer (not actually her name), Alliane, Gabbe, Miss Sophia, Mr. Cole, Molly, Roland, and so on.

Well this was not my best review. At all. I did not do the book justice. Please don't listen to me on this on this one! I had to finish it, though, or I'd forget everything about the book. I don't really have any extra comments (although from my other reviews you can tell I like footnotes) for you, but you can just pretend if you really miss them. Ta-ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment