Sunday, March 3, 2013

Under the Never Sky, Veronica Rossi

FREAKIN' SUPER.
Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim. 
Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.
If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.


Let's start out by being honest. The beginning of this book: eh. For some reason the beginning just didn't get to me. But I can't say the same for the rest of this book or its sequel. I'm sure if I wasn't on a book block, the beginning would have been better. Seriously, though, this book is still super-duper good. Better than good.

Awesome.

Cool.

So, any-hoo, the setting is some time in the future and I have no idea where it's supposed to be. Probably America because that's where like, every book by an American author is set. That's an estimate, I know it's not every author. Obviously. So it's some time in the future and in this time there are storms of Aether (pronounced ee-ther, I kept reading it as ay-thur), in which basically lightning bolts of Aether smash into the ground and light things on fire and destroy things. Woo-hoo.

In spite of these lethal storms of Aether, people survive. There are the people that are stuck in Pods (basically large communities, safe from the Aether under a dome), and then there are outsiders who, obviously, are outside the Pods. This story takes place around one Pod, Reverie, and the outside--a.k.a the Death Shop. People in the Pods are trapped, basically. If they go outside, they will suffocate and die because they can't breathe the air out there. I think that's baloney.

That's that. It sounds pretty interesting, even when I say it, right? I thought it sounded really cool. That's why I read it, of course.

I don't know if I'd consider this book dystopian or not. I don't think I would. The Pods are perfect in every way, and other than the Aether storms, the outside isn't too bad either. And the government doesn't actually have a lot to do with anything. It's a good switch up from everything else. This book is probably, mostly, science fiction. Not post apocalyptic, not dystopian, not--eh, I don't know what else.

Let me just repeat: the beginning of this book was boring. I almost gave up on it. So glad I didn't, though. So what I'm saying is, if you buy this book and you think the beginning is mostly boring, it's because it is. Just give it like, six or seven chapters (they're short chapters, don't worry).

First main character is definitely Aria. I actually don't think she has a last name? I don't know it and Wiki doesn't know it, so she must not have one. At first she's like any other future-book-heroine, happy with her life and stuff until everything is changed. Then you'd think: oh, she's going to go up against the government or change the world. Without giving anything away, I'll just say she doesn't exactly do either of those. You have to guess what she does though. This book is seriously not like anything else I've read and she's right along with it. She's just different--I don't know why. She's a little brat sometimes and she never stops talking, which is, of course, always a good trait. I wish I could wink in a review. That'd be the place for a wink. Also, she's not immediately liked by everyone, which is also fantastic. I don't mind it when the main character gets everyone to like them right away, but it's a nice change of pace.

Second main character is Peregrine. Or Perry. I like Perry. He's pretty cool. I know I say that about every guy in every book but he's cool in a different way. He isn't swooning over Aria as soon as he meets her. That's what happens in most books. Which again, isn't a bad thing, but it's great that he kind of--no, really hates her when he firsts (actually the second time) he meets her. That's great! I love it! I might actually read this book again just for that section. Seriously I love it.

Well, there are like a bazillion other important characters but they only show up for a couple chapters at a time. A couple are Marron, Vale, Kira, Talon (he's a bit more important . . .), Cinder, Roar (again, bit more important), Liv, Sable, Hess, Soren, the Croven, ahh . . . Who else? Oh, Lumina. I think that's it.

Overall, this book is amazing and different and exciting and full of adventure and romance and oh my God, just read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment