Thursday, August 16, 2012

Insurgent, Veronica Roth

OH MY GOD. 
One choice can transform you, or destroy you. Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

I finished this book in about four hours. More or less, most likely less. And, recently I've been recording all the times I've read, so I'll write down 4:30-6:00 if I picked up the book at four-thirty and set it down at six o' clock. Then I calculate how long I read each part of the book, add it all together, divide the number of pages by that and then I have how many pages/minute I read! For this book, it was around 2.1 pages per minute. That just shows how good of a book it was.For Divergent*, my pages/minute was about 1.9. Close.

Alrighty! The setting has not changed from Divergent, but there is a war going on even in the first couple pages of this book while in Divergent, it's in the last. That's the only really big change.

If you haven't read the Divergent review, you really shouldn't read this one. I'll warn you about spoilers, but it's only going to be spoilers about this book, not Divergent. You should really read that one first. Go ahead. Come back to this one later.

Are you done reading the review? Okay. Let's move on.

So, it's still Chicago and it's still in the future. Or in the present. I'm a little confused on that one. I think it's in the future by about two generations. That make sense once you actually read the book.

Then onto Tris. Or, Beatrice, the main character. By now she's just called Tris, though, so bear** with me. Tris and Four, excuse me--Tobias are now together. Obviously this was going to happen in Divergent, and it did towards the end... What did I say? Read the Divergent review first. This is the last time I'm going to tell you, so if you haven't it's your own fault. I really don't want to give anything away for you, but I have no choice.

So, they got together and they are like, the best couple. I knew they would be. I'm pretty much psychic with these things.

Tris, in this book, is so much more in command. She was in Divergent, but now she's really taking charge and not taking orders or suggestions from anyone (not even Tobias). She risks her life for kind-of-strangers lots of times and Tobias tells her that if she does it again, they are over! Noooooooo,,, They can't be over. They have to stick through it. But alas, war is too rough on young love!

I thought I could try out the professional-reviewer thing. It didn't work. I actually have no idea what I said. Does "alas, war is too rough on young love" mean they didn't end up together? Because they did...

Tobias, Tobias, Tobias. I don't really like that name. I prefer Four, but that's not his name. Nickname. If anybody is wondering, it's pronounced TOE - BY - US. I've heard people don't know how to say his name. Well, Tobias is super awesome and even though he's a little edgy a lot of the time, I still like him as a character. Him and Tris are good, but they fight a lot in this book. Sometimes I have to re-read something and think, "Are they fighting or just talking?" It's hard to tell at some points.

Amity and Cander factions play a part in this book as well. Plus Erudite, but you probably could have guess that. Dauntless is also in there, and Abnegation is mentioned sometimes, more towards the end. I think that's all of them.

There are other minor characters, but to be frank, most of them die.

The ending was kind of the biggest surprise I've ever read. Prior!? Holy crap. I was so... surprised. No other word. There's probably a word, I just can't think of it.

Well. For the past couple of reviews, I've tried to do a Word from Wiki, but I haven't. So I'm changing this part to the part where I tell you who I think would play who if they ever made a movie of these books (which I think they should).

Tris - Annasophia Robb (the chick from Bridge to Teribithia)
Caleb - Logan Lerman (the kid from Percy Jackson-blah-blah-blah)
Four - Alex Pettyfer or Ashton Moio. I think more Alex Petyfer.
Eric - Jake Abel (I think this guy might actually also be from Percy Jackson-blah-blah-blah)
Er... This is awkward. I don't want to finish my 'cast list' I just thought that Annasophia Robb would make a good Tris. And I immediately thought of Logan Lerman when Caleb was described.

*The book that comes before Insurgent.
**Is that the right kind of bear? Is it bare? Or some other spelling?

No comments:

Post a Comment