Friday, April 27, 2012

Clockwork Angel, Cassandra Clare

Okay, these books are better than any I've ever read. 
Orphan Tessa Gray, sixteen, crosses the ocean from New York to find her brother Nate in Victorian London, her only possession a clockwork angel necklace from her mother. She is ignorant of her power to transform; the Dark sisters are not. They kidnap her for the Magister, who wants to marry Tessa and claim her power. 

Shadowhunters, warriors of angel blood, battle demons and keep the peace in the Downworld of vampires, warlocks and other supernaturals. Orphan teen Shadowhunters Jem, Will, and Jess rescue Tessa and agree to help save Nate. Vengeful vampire Lady Camille Belcourt and her current lover, warlock Magnus Bane provide entrée to the Magister's secret Pandemonium Club.

Honestly, I don't think I've loved any other series as much as I've loved the Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series (plural of series, anyone?).

First, we need to go over the setting.
Place: London, England.
Time: 1878.

Alright, so it's ten years after the Accords are signed and 129 years before Jace Wayland meets Clary Fray*. You can't say much more about the setting. That's what it is, it can't be changed!

In this book, a lot of family names from the Mortal Instruments are introduced (remember; the Mortal Instruments series came out before the Infernal Devices, so it's easy to stick those names in there). Wayland, Fairchild, Lightwood (still stuck up as ever!), Heron-freaking-dale, and Magnus Bane, everybody! Yes, you're favorite warlock is back. Or, is he considered back if he was really there first, before he was there in the Mortal Instruments? Ah, a tough question for the soul.

If you read the ID series before the MI series, you aren't spoiling anything and vice versa. I would have wished to have read the ID series, because then you would KNOW EVERYTHING. I'm planning on making a family tree for these bizarre-o realizations. Like, the Herondale thing?** I had totally forgotten! Mind = Blown. Honestly.

Okay, so I haven't mentioned one character from this book, have I? Oh, silly me. Well I love Tessa Gray, she's soft-spoken but... Not. If you get my drift? She doesn't usually speak up at first, but if something really bothers her, she will. Get it? Hard to explain. But I like her, she's great. And smart and confident, I feel. Although it's London in 1878, she's got just the right spark (who would have figured people back then had senses of humor?!).

Now, onto our dear Jem. I love him, too. Albeit, he's a little mysterious, but I'm  not saying that's a bad thing! He has a strange way to him, but I hope something ends up of him!

William. Will, Will, Will. It's ridiculous how much you can love a character in a book. Not love as in, "Oh, my Willy, I want to marry you!" No. I'm not starry-eyed over a fictional character, I'm just saying I would love to know someone like that. He's a genius (not in the smart sense, in the way that someone can be a comedic genius). So I have to give props to Clare for creating him, although he is a lot like our other dear, Jace***. But I think he's a little more blunt than Jace, if my memory serves.

Jessamine is the perfect, surly, girly-girl. That's all I have to say. Charlotte and Henry are adorbs, even if Henry is a little absent-minded; you need someone like that sometimes!

What do I do next? The plot? I can't really go far without giving much away, but I feel like this book is more revolved around warlocks and Downworlders than Shadowhunteres and the like, like in MI. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love Downworlders as much as the next guy--or girl--but I'm just pointing out that there weren't that many in MI. It's cool that the series are different, it's a nice change to hear all about the Downworlders and warlocks and things.

Now for our favorite part, a word from Wiki!

  • The book became a Best Seller in the New York Times List, debuting #1 on the children's bestselling list.


*Mortal Instruments reference! 
**Relatives... Rela-freaking-tives. Of course.
***If you haven't read the Mortal Instruments series you'll have no idea who this is. Just go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment