Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Horde, Ann Aguirre



The horde is coming.
That's all you get for a description. That's all. Oh my gosh. I was so excited for this. Oh my gosh. I went and got it the day it came out and oh I just can't explain how excited I was. Oh gosh.

My heart is still racing.

Wow, this book was amazing. After my little sour review of The 5th Wave, this will sound so good you'll go out and get it (you should, just get the first two before getting this one--obviously). I take full credit for finding this book on my own, no recommendations or anything. I'm good at finding books, thanks. Though I always appreciate recommendations (hint, hint)!

I realize that not a lot of people see these reviews but you know what? This is more for fun than anything, so no one can say anything about doing this for attention. Nope. I just need to talk to someone about these books and I can't always talk to people in real life about them because 1.) they don't read, 2.) they don't want to read these books, 3.) they want to read these books but after their pile of one hundred books-to-read, 4.) I want to talk to them RIGHT NOW and they're not done so I won't, or 5.) they aren't as excited about these books as I am and it just makes me sound crazy. But you know, I talk anyways. I talk a lot. They don't have to listen if they don't want to.

Anyways, these books are in the future. Since my descriptions in the reviews for the first books are a little lame and I'm in the typing mood, I'll tell you again.

There are a buttload of SPOILERS in this next section ABOUT THE TWO FIRST BOOKS BUT NOT THIS ONE so just, yeah, I warned you. Go read the other reviews or something.

So these books are in the future and most of the people live underground. They believe that everyone "topside" is dead. Gone. Wiped out when the diseases came through and either killed them or turned them into Freaks. Freaks are also underground. They're kind of like zombies, but without the 'undead' part. They're just scary monsters that kind of look a little human-ish, but they eat humans and attack the different towns that are underground, also called Enclaves (name of the first book). Then the main characters, Deuce and Fade, are kicked out of College, their home enclave (well, Fade came from above ground but lived in College for awhile). Then they fight Freaks and make their way topside, which Deuce thought was impossible but of course Fade was like "Let's do this," and so she said sure because he was hot. Or whatever. When they get topside, they find that the city the enclave is under is still actually standing, and there are no Freaks to be seen, just gangs and gang members. So they fight their way out of the city after acquiring two travel buddies, Tegan and Stalker, and another girl (Fade's childhood friend from when he lived above ground). As they're leaving they go into a library and they're attacked by Freaks and Fade's childhood friend gets killed so they just kind of leave her there and move on. I think, in the library scene, Tegan is hurt. Or maybe after. Her leg is hurt. So they have to stop at an abandoned house and Deuce strains herself while taking care of Tegan and she ends up getting sick I think and a sick-brain hallucination tells her to keep the fire going even if it kills her, so she freaks out that the fire is almost out and they go get wood (Fade and Stalker, who totally hate each other over Deuce). Then, a passing traveler sees the smoke from the chimney on the house and stops to see who it is (obviously he's got a gun in case it's Freaks or something) and then he says sure, he'll help them with Tegan and Deuce and he brings them all back to Salvation, the name of his town, or Outpost (the name of the second book). Before the end of the second book, Fade is kind of kidnapped by Freaks, who take him to their own Outpost (the Freaks are getting smarter, they have fire now) and he watches as they tear up and eat his tenting buddy, whose name I don't remember. Either way, it's really traumatic and like anyone would expect, he does not come back the same when Deuce saves him. Survivor's Guilt, PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), kind of both. When the third book starts, Salvation is surrounded by Freaks (they call them Muties). Yeah, the end.

So that was pretty long, huh?

SPOILERS ARE OVER. YOU CAN READ NOW.

Anyways, the main character is Deuce. She's a strong girl which makes it even more believable when she cracks and gets angry at almost everyone.

Fade's the second  main character. He's usually pretty cool but in this book he's got some understandable issues if you read that really long explanation up top. This book made me cry for him more than once.

There's probably another main character but I don't want to bring it up because I'll get really sad and depressed and I don't want that. I read this book like, a  month ago and I don't want to go back and do that again! It was awful. But the book was amazing. Awesome.

Action packed, unlike another certain book I just reviewed . . .

I've come to realize I like adventure books. Action books, with a little bit of lovey-dovey stuff. Only a little bit. Maybe a little more than a little bit, but not a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment