Saturday, March 9, 2013

Confessions of a Murder Suspect, James Patterson

I wish there was a sequel.
James Patterson returns to the genre that made him famous with a thrilling teen detective series about the mysterious and magnificently wealthy Angel family . . . and the dark secrets they're keeping from one another. 
On the night Malcolm and Maud Angel are murdered, Tandy Angel knows just three things: 1) She was the last person to see her parents alive. 2) The police have no suspects besides Tandy and her three siblings. 3) She can't trust anyone—maybe not even herself. Having grown up under Malcolm and Maud's intense perfectionist demands, no child comes away undamaged. Tandy decides that she will have to clear the family name, but digging deeper into her powerful parents' affairs is a dangerous-and revealing-game. Who knows what the Angels are truly capable of?

Okay but honestly, I don't know how there would be a sequel. Maybe about Tamara Gee? I hope there is one. I couldn't put this book down, seriously. Usually reviewers say that when the book is filled with action, but this one was just . . . I don't know, filled with mystery? At the end of each chapter, all I want to do is read the next one and the next one and so on! That does not help me when I'm trying to save the book until after finals. I had three finals on last Thursday (we're on Spring Break now), and I finished the book after the first one--I read some on Wednesday, I had two finals that day. So, it did not last as long as I wanted.

But, holy cripes, can James Patterson write! All the books I've read by him (Max Ride series and this one (not much)), have always made me feel that way about the chapters. I just eat those things up. I think the Max Ride series was the first bunch of books that had me staying up late and getting up early just to finish them. I think I might have done that with the Twilight books, too, in fifth grade. Sorry, they're good books.

Okay so after that shimmering glimpse at how good this book is, we'll start the review.

The setting is present time in New York I think. Probably New York. I would check but the book is all the way downstairs, in my backpack. I tried Wiki, but I think it's release is too soon for that. I don't really know.

Honestly? I kept picturing the setting of Gossip Girl. Especially for the Angel family's house, I pictured Serena's.

Okay main character is definitely Tandoori, or Tandy. I really like that name, actually. It's a bit . . . unheard of? But I like it. Any-hoo, she's this super-genius, no-emotions kind of kid. Her parents, Maud and Malcolm, are very strict about how their children grow up. So all the Angel kids have their own little specialties. Since Tandoori is really smart it's pretty much her job, after her parents get murdered, to find who killed them.

Harry is probably the next main character, although he's not as big as Tandy. Harry is Tandy's twin brother. He doesn't fit the Angel family's image. They're all about being smart and strong and fast, all while showing no emotions or being sentimental. Harry is an artist. In like, every way. He plays the piano really, really well and he paints and draws and cries. All the time. Malcolm and Maud don't really feel like he's Angel material.

Next up is the ten year old Hugo. He's a strong kid. Stronger than other ten year olds. He's also a genius but he spells things wrong on purpose like 'Malkim n' Mud' for their parents names. He always looks up to the oldest Angel kid, Matthew.

Matthew is obviously next. He's the oldest kid and he's super strong and fast like Hugo. Unlike Hugo, though, he plays for a football team so he basically harnesses his powers for good, not evil. Hugo just runs into people and breaks their shins with baseball bats. I guess both of the times Hugo does those things, it's for a good cause . . .

Anyway, I recommend reading this book over a weekend when there is no school (if you're not in school, read it whenever you want!) because otherwise you will not put it down and you will not do your homework or whatever else you have to do. I literally got symptoms of withdrawal when I put this book away for the night. I only meant to read one chapter but it just . . . spun out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment