Saturday, May 5, 2012

Goliath, Scott Westerfeld

FINALLY!
Alek and Deryn are abroad the Leviathan when the ship is ordered to pick up an unusual passenger. This brilliant/maniacal inventor claims to have a weapon called Goliath that can end the war. But whose side is he really on?

While on their top-secret mission, Alek finally discovers Deryn's deeply kept secret. Two, actually. Not only is Deryn a girl disguised as a guy...she has feelings for Alek.

The crown, true love with a commoner, and the destruction of a great city all hang on Alek's next--and final--move.

Am I right? Took me long enough, jeez. But, I'm so glad I finally got to read this fantastic book! I'm so happy!

Alright, first if you don't know anything about this whole series, it's about an alternative history behind WWI. I'm sorry I'm so lazy, but I just want to quote whatever I wrote about the setting/background on the other reviews. Seriously, I'm pretty lazy.
...It's set in the past, World War I to be exact, except it's an alternative, steam punk version. The Central powers (Clankers) are full of machines and mechanical things, while the Entente powers (Darwinists) create beasties with different threads of life. Evolution and things. The whole story is based around a teenage girl, Deryn, dressed as a boy to be a part of the Darwinist air navy and the teenaged song of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Deryn is one of the awesomely-capable middies (midshipman) on the airship, the Leviathan, while Aleksander (the teenaged boy) is pampered even when he's running away...
Okay well that's that. In the second one basically there are more action and if you want to know about click here. That will take you to my review for Behemoth since again, I'm too lazy to write it all out! Sorry!

Onto this story. In the beginning the Leviathan is in Siberia and they end up picking up Nikola Tesla (the elektrikal genius) who--without knowing--brings one of his inventions on board. Quickly, Alek puts it together and it's found out to be kind of a metal detector. Fancy!

SPOILERS! 
Alek reads about a Deryn Sharp in Eddy Malone's newspaper that has the same backstory as Dylan Sharp. Deryn . . . Dylan . . . Not much of a leap. So Alek figures that out and with his intelligent little brain, he also realizes that Deryn is in love with him. "No secrets," is their promise.

And, when Deryn jumps off a cliff wearing her glider-wings, she snaps her knee and scrapes her arm and Alek has to help her limp away before the doctor can cut off her shirt. Obviously, that wouldn't help her secret in any way. But when Deryn is forced to be inspected by a Mexican doctor, Alek has no choice but to spill the beans. The doctor tells them he will keep their secret, with one exception. He has to tell his 'boss' Pancho Villa. So let's recap; The doctor knows, Pancho Villa knows, Count Volger knows, Eddy Malone ends up guessing it, Alek knows, and Deryn lets Dr. Barlow in on it. Everyone knows! Except for the other middies and crew men.

The end is the best thing I've ever read! Well, I don't know, I don't really remember other amazing endings. I just really loved this one. I was so surprised and I just . . . I just loved it.

I'm so sad the series is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment