Saturday, January 11, 2014

Skylark, Meagan Spooner

CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!
Sixteen-year-old Lark Ainsley has never seen the sky. 
Her world ends at the edge of the vast domed barrier of energy enclosing all that’s left of humanity. For two hundred years the city has sustained this barrier by harvesting its children's innate magical energy when they reach adolescence. When it’s Lark’s turn to be harvested, she finds herself trapped in a nightmarish web of experiments and learns she is something out of legend itself: a Renewable, able to regenerate her own power after it’s been stripped. (Full description found here.)
So yeah I've been kind of lacking a new set of books to read due to the fact that I'm also lacking money. But now that Christmas has come and gone, I've got four new books and a promise to buy three others when they come out (sometime in 2014). I'm excited.

Yeah, yesterday was Christmas and all my little cousins were playing with their presents, I figured I could play with mine! Even if they're books, and playing with them means sitting in the corner, reading. So that's exactly what I did.

I read this book and at first I was a little confused. Just because there were new terms and things that I hadn't read a lot in other books, but by part two I think I definitely had it all down. Basically, read carefully. That'll make it 100x easier.

So the setting? It's in the future after the world has pretty much ended because of a huge-tastic war. All it left behind was a lonely little city sitting behind its big walls, safe and sound with magic. Yep, magic. The whole word outside the city is empty and everyone inside the city is told that, if they ever went outside, they would die immediately.

As you read in the description, Lark Ainsley is the main character and although she makes some questionable decisions, I do like her as a character. When the book starts, she's very trusting and yeah, like I said, makes some questionable decisions. Then she does something totally forbidden and even after that she makes some absolutely terrible decisions. But finally, towards the end, she understands what's really going on around her and starts to also understand herself and what she's capable of.

There aren't a lot of other main characters. I mean, there is one I can think of, but all I can say is his name. I can't say anything about where he pops into the story. His name is Oren, by the way, and I love him. He's super-duper awesome and yeah, I love him. I don't care who he is. I don't care. Don't tell me anything, he's great and everyone else can get lost.

I wish the book was longer but it's okay because the second one is already out! It's called Shadowlark, and there's a third one coming out sometime in 2014, I think. I don't know what it's called or when exactly it's coming, but I'm so excited!

1 comment: