Saturday, January 5, 2013

Outside In, Maria V. Snyder

Super-duper sequel!
Me?A leader?
Okay, I did prove that there's more to Inside than we knew.
That a whole world exists beyond this cube we live in. And finding that led to a major rebellion—between worker scrubs like me and the snobby uppers who rule our world. Make that ruled. Because of me, we're free. I thought that meant I was off the hook, and could go off on my own again—while still touching base with Riley, of course. He's the one upper I think I can trust. But then we learned that there's outside and then there is Outside. 
And something from Outside wants In.

I'm running out of dazzling adjectives for that little italic part at the beginning of each review. I'm also a little distracted. I'm watching Treasure Planet. But does that really matter? No. So, moving on.

Setting. Well, this is a tough one to explain if you don't know anything about this book. So like every other review for a sequel of any sort, I'll just copy-paste the setting and tweak it a little.

The setting: a bajillion years in the future. It's not just after the world ends because of a super-virus or a giant war, I don't actually know if anything happened to the earth, they're just kind of not there anymore. The place that they live in is shaped like a giant cube as far as anyone knows. It's called Inside. And whatever is outside of Inside, is called Outside. So far, it's pretty simple, right? Inside is inside; Outside is outside. You could have figured that out yourself. Well, no one knows what exactly is beyond Inside's walls, or how to get to it. A lot of people believe there's something called Gateway that will open up like a door to let them out. Most people, though, just believe that this is all a myth. Gateway isn't real to them, and it's just a story to tell to kids.
In Inside, there are four levels of rooms and sectors and there are two levels of people: Uppers and scrubs. Uppers are obviously the richer, more pampered citizens. They live in apartments and rooms that are just for them and their own families. Scrubs don't have it so easy. Scrubs have to share their beds with three-hundred-some other scrubs who are off duty while they work. Each scrub has an assigned job: ten hours on, ten hours off and so on. There are lots of different jobs for scrubs and uppers alike. Scrubs jobs are more physical while uppers get the technical jobs of keeping track of the scrubs through computers. Obviously scrubs grow up to think all uppers are pompous, high-and-mighty snobs.

So. That's the background, but in this book the scrubs and uppers get along just fine (most of them). The uppers still think they shouldn't have to share work with the scrubs but the scrubs don't want to work if the uppers don't. You can see the issues there.

Main character hasn't changed from the last book, but her attitude has and things like that. Alright, the main character's name is Trella. I don't remember her last name. It's like, Sanchia-something. I don't know. Whatever. Instead of being just a scrub, now she's the leader of a successful rebellion. Well, not the leader. She didn't want to lead so now she just helps out the council-type thing. Trella's still pretty strong willed and she likes to put herself in danger. What an awesome personality. She's practically a hero already.

The next couple of main characters haven't changed much.

Next character is Riley. He's an upper that Trella drops in on and talks to until she gets comfortable with him. You can probably guess what I mean by 'comfortable', and you probably aren't surprised by that. He's adorable. I love him so much. Riley is tremendously protective while still being unbearably cute. I can't even begin to tell you how delightfully childish he is in comparison to Trella.
This character is probably one of the biggest characters in this entire series (there's two books in this series). His name is Sheepy. He is a sheep. He is a stuffed animal, too. I'm not even joking, he has a huge influence on this series! How do you think the Force of Sheep was formed? 
 Now, unlike in the first book, there are a few more main characters. Like Doctor Lamont. She's a little in the first book I think, but I can't be sure. She's okay, I guess. Kind of annoying in a few ways, but she helps out a lot towards the end.

Another big character is Bubba Boom. Weird name, I know. It's a nickname. He's known for making bombs and blowing things up with said bombs. Thus the name "boom". He's a big character I guess. I don't know much about him (you never really do) but he does a lot towards the end, like Doctor Lamont. He's not as helpful though.

Logan and Ann-Jade are still very important in helping with Trella's 'quests'. They're probably the most helpful Tech Nos in Inside. They're like, the only ones left anyways. Logan is smart in the technology field while Ann-Jade is better at hiding their gadgets. If they don't hide them, they'll be recycled. Killed, in other words.

Hmm, who else is there? I don't think there's really anyone else. Well, no one that's as important as the ones I've mentioned.

So I guess I'm done. All I have left to say is that this series is awesome and as far as I'm concerned, this sequel is completely unpredictable and it's awesome. Good ending, too. If you've already read the book (don't know why you're reading this review then, but I won't judge) you'll know what I'm talking about and you're probably like, "Yeah, it's so good! Ah-MAH-gawd! Like--" yeah, it's really that good. It's such a good ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment