Friday, August 10, 2012

City of Lost Souls, Cassandra Clare

I know it took awhile to post this review, but this book was so good.
What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

Okay, I know I've said on all of my reviews that I love the book I'd read, but I love this book too! It was so much fun to read. After reading the ID* series, I start making connections between the families. Lightwood, Herondale and the likes. If I were you, I'd start out by reading the Infernal Devices and then read the Mortal Instruments series. I mean, you can do it either way, but finish one whole series before reading the other. I've been skipping between them since the latest books have been coming out, but it'd be easier to just go from the first to last, and then onto the other. 

Alright! If you haven't read any of the Mortal Instruments books, I'll let you in on the background. So it's present-day New York and there are Shadowhunters and demons, like the ID series. The main characters are Clary Fray/Fairchild/Morgenstern and Jace Herondale/Lightwood/Wayland. It's confusing, I can't really explain all the relations having to do with just him, or Clary for that matter. BUT! It's still a good book no matter what. 

Next part... hm, I think I'll go with the main characters. Clarissa Fairchild. Clary Fray. Clarissa Morgenstern. Whatever you want to call her, we'll start there! I love her! She seems like such a fun person to be around, even those she's a ginger (it's a joke, I don't mean that personally!) but to be honest, she's very stubborn! I guess I kind of like that though. If she wasn't so stubborn, how on earth would she save the world?! That's right. The world is at stake. Well, the world of the Shadowhunters, the Clave, the Downworlders... you know. 

Onto the next one. Now, he has many names*. Jace Wayland is the most common one. I'm not even sure about the connections between him and pretty much the entire Shadowhunter population. He's just as amazing as his great-to-the-nth-power grandfather, William! That's right, William Herondale! From the ID series! I think they have similar senses of humor and they both hold themselves the same way. Pride and sarcasm! That's the way to go. 

Third and not at all last, and very important, the actual-factual Jonathan Morgenstern! A.K.A, Sebastian Morgenstern. His alias for... I think... I don't remember what book, was Sebastian Verlac. That's where he got Sebastian as a name (which is my favorite name, by the way). So I'm crotchin' the fence on the matter of whether I think Sebastian is good or not. Of course he's an amazing character, but if I knew him in real life? I don't know. But anyways! He's got the same wit as Jace but towards the end he gets a little icky with Clary, his sister. Yuck. But I mean, technically he's kissed her before, just as someone else.

Still yuck.

Er... Now the plot of this story! Okay, so it starts off just two weeks after City of Fallen Angels**. Basically, Jace and Sebastian are still missing and of course Clary (as head-strong as ever) goes out to find them. Awesome, she's totally independent, but I don't think I would have done what she does! Crazy! I'm not going to give it away though, you have to read it for yourself!

The next book in the series doesn't come out until September (or March?) of 2014 sadly! I have to wait an entire two years!

*Jonathan Morgenstern. Jonathan Herondale, Jace Lightwood or Jace Wayland. Phew!
**Thanks Wikipedia!

No comments:

Post a Comment