Sunday, November 3, 2013

Allegiant, Veronica Roth

So this review is long overdue. BUT I'M JUST SO TORN. DO NOT BLAME ME. 
One choice will define you. 
What if your whole world was a lie?What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. (Full description found here.)
Yeah, so I finished this book on like, the 26th. Or the 25th. I think the twenty-fifth, because I also think that's a Friday and I would have read like heck.

I'm so sad this series is over but this book was so good. Or, at least it ended well. I definitely liked Divergent the best out of the three books (if you don't know the series, it's Divergent, Insurgent, and now Allegiant.) That might get me some bad reactions, but I just think there was way more to Divergent than Allegiant. They got stuff done in Divergent, and Insurgent, but . . . eh, not so much Allegiant.

Okay, now I know a lot of people won't agree with that last statement, but it's what I think. So.

Besides, 'Allegiant' isn't even a word.

I'd have a problem with that except there are so many authors that have created entire languages, so one word isn't too much for me.

So the setting hasn't changed. There are five factions.
1. Candor (the honest) 
2. Erudite (the intelligent) 
3. Amity (the peaceful) 
4. Dauntless (the brave) 
5. Abnegation (the selfless) 
Each person is given a faction at their 16th birthday. On their birthday, they're taken into a room where they participate in a simulation. I can't explain this in a non-boring way. Sorry! It's more interesting in the book! In the simulation they go through a number of scenarios. Finishing one gets them into another one, and that determines their faction! After the simulations, all of the 16-year-olds go to a ceremony called the Choosing Ceremony. Where, clearly, they choose their faction.
Yep, that's from my Divergent review. If you haven't read Divergent, go read it now! It's so great, this series is amazing. Go forth, dear reader, and cry your heart out over these books.

So the characters. Yeah.

Here's what I had to say about them, a little over a year ago:
Main character one, Beatrice. She's born into Abnegation where everyone is polite (like, extremely). They never think of themselves and wear grey clothes and they never look in a mirror! I don't think I could live like that. Never ever, ever. Not in a million years; but Beatrice does. In the beginning of the book she seems really quiet and polite, but she's an Abnegation so she can't help it. Also, people call her a 'Stiff' for obvious reasons. But after her own simulation, she learns that she doesn't fit into any single faction. She fits into three; Dauntless, Abnegation, and Erudite. So if you'd be so kind as to look above, you will see that this shows that Beatrice is brave, polite, and smart. Good qualities, if you ask me! 
Next main character is Four. Right, his name is Four. Pronounced like 4. Four is mysterious at first but then you get to know that he's really an awesome dude. He's really obvious about his feelings if you catch on fast. If you're like Beatrice, which means you don't, then he just seems mean and weird. He's two years older than Beatrice, making him eighteen but it isn't such a big gap if you get my drift about what happens between them. I bet you can guess.
Go ahead, guess.Yep.
 I'd say not much has changed, except it totally has.

You don't have to guess what happens between Tris and Four, I can just tell you at this point. They're all lovey-dovey.

That's the only thing that totally pisses me off, if you can't already tell. I'm all for romance-y stuff, it's great, but in Allegiant? It's like, get a room. They seriously kiss at least once in every chapter. Every. Single. Chapter. It's so annoying! And, I know they're doing big things--saving their world and all that--but it's not like they almost die every page. There's no need to kiss every time they see each other. They're like--what? Eighteen? Nineteen? I think they're mature enough to back the heck up and pay attention to what they're doing, not just each other's lips.

But, don't get me wrong, it's a fab story. I loved it. The action parts were awesome, which, to be honest, it wasn't up to standard in the action department. I mean Insurgent was packed, you can't just go from that to . . . Well, Allegiant. There are some parts, but of course they'd be like, half a page long and then Tris and her dear Tobias (that's Four's real name) start making out again.

The more I think about it, the angrier I am. Especially after the book ending the way it did.

I don't know if one of my bestest friends (hey Emmy) is done with the book yet, and I don't know if one of my other bestest friends (I don't know if Erin reads this, but if you do--hello!) is planning on reading it, so I can't say anything revealing about the ending. I'll put something in my GoodReads review (I usually just copy and paste these reviews into the GoodReads review box).

No comments:

Post a Comment