Monday, April 23, 2012

Just Updating...

I know I just posted a book review, but this is just a little update from my personal life!*

Today was a fantastic day! Not only did I figure out how to French braid (on myself, no less!), I was playing saxophone and I didn't take a breather until halfway through the sixteenth measure of Blue Bells of Scotland! I was so proud. --Time for a back story. It all starts with piano. I wanted to play drums when I got to middle school, so as a kindergarten kiddie, I started piano. I played piano until the summer between fourth-to-fifth grade. So, what is that--five years? Then once I got to middle school, I decided I wanted to play saxophone instead. So here's where the saxophone starts...

...I started saxophone in fifth grade, but then quit because I really didn't like the middle school's band set up (there were practice sheets, field trips, too much!). Then in the summer of seventh-to-eighth grade, I started playing piano again. I had to do something over the summer, those were my dad's rules. But since it was summer, I never ever practiced, obviously. I even moved our keyboard to my room to motivate myself, but I'm the laziest person on earth, so of course I didn't!

So I quit piano (I'm a quitter, I know). Then a week or two before eighth grade, I started saxophone again and my instructor was/is a senior boy (who is... ahem. Good looking to say the least (gosh, hope he doesn't see this!)). Since school started, I've had homework literally everyday and naturally, I just practiced saxophone afterwards because I thought of it like homework. This year, I've learned so much. Since fifth grade, I've forgotten everything about saxophone. I couldn't even remember what keys to press for G. G. Really.**

Alas, I still don't practice much but I practice enough to know the songs, and my sax-instructor's cool with it. We've made deals. I just mastered In Dreams from Lord of The Rings --and just in time, too! We're reading the Hobbit in school now! More on that later. But, yeah. I mastered that, and the Star Wars theme, and the theme song to The Pirates of The Caribbean (the first one!). That's my favorite movie, if you're writing a book. Right now I'm on The Imperial March (from Star Wars, for all our non-everyday-knowledge-knowers out there!), and the Raider's March from Indiana Jones, I guess. I've downloaded that song on my iPod, for some reason I can not get it engraved in my head!

Alright, enough about the gal-darn saxophone, already! 

Okay, now onto other matters (this is getting kind of long...) This is where I complain about whatever we're reading in class! I wouldn't normally complain about things that much, but sometimes you just have those days, you know? You know. So we're reading the Hobbit, right? Now, usually I would love to read these types of books, but the chapters are twenty seven pages long! That's intimidating! And we have to do a packet about it! Oi! I'm already reading an amazing book, I want to finish that first, please!

And, onto my schedule (trying to keep the sections short now, for anyone that could possibly still be reading). There are state-wide tests happening tomorrow, and boy, I just can't wait! No, I'm kidding. I hate these things. There are stupid strategies that we're supposed to do***, but I think it's just a time waster. I read the story and answer the questions in order, I think I can remember a story I read two seconds ago!

*Note: This will not be listed under book reviews. It will be under 'Personal Updates'.  
**If you play saxophone, you'll know how easy the note G is. It's like, the first thing you learn.
***The strategies, if anyone is wondering...


  1. Read the questions first and then go back and skim the story to do number two.
  2. Underline the things you think answer the questions.
  3. Write a note next to the answer you think is right.
  4. Go back and actually read the story.
  5. Scream because you just wasted like, ten minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment